Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Jesus+U = U+Jesus

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG)


I can clearly hear Jesus in this verse. I can hear his tender, sweet voice speaking directly to me. I can hear Him confidently calling to each of you to forget what the world tells you about religion and faith and to simply rest on him. I can hear Him saying that it's alright to be sick of religion, but instead to be filled with faith and love for Him. Just Him.

My Dad always tells us 4 kids that if we simply, "Live your whole life with Jesus, it will be a great life." There's no doubt in my mind that my Dad's right. Aside from looking at his life, I look at my own and when I consciously let Jesus in my life--it's great--and when I don't--well it's not so great. I also know when I'm tired and burnt out on bible study groups, church events, church politics, "wrong religion," etc. that Jesus is there with an easy yoke and a light burden ready to take on ALL that I have for Him and more.

What this verse and my dad's advice isn't saying is that it won't be hard, because it will; it never says that you won't have unthinkably tough times, because you will; and neither the verse nor my dad's advice says that you will have your faith and all that comes with it handed to you, because it won't be. Living a life of faith and walking with Jesus means hard work, determination for change, love for something bigger than you (that at times you can't see and might not even know is there, but must trust that it is--that He is there). To have a great life, one with Jesus, means 100+% reliance on Him, accepting whole-hearted grace, and a complete realization that nothing in your life is bigger than Him... "...For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


No comments: